Read All About It...: Pondering the Past

Tuesday, January 27, 2009

Pondering the Past


The first picture is my grandmother, her cousin, my aunt (the older child), and my mom (the baby). The second picture is my Mother, my sister (the older child), and me (the baby).

My grandmother died when my mom was around 12 years old, so I never got to meet her. Last year, I had a few dreams about my grandmother and my mom. I'd never really thought about her before, nor did I consider the impact of her death on my mother. In the dreams, she was never really present, but she was really special and important.

Since those dreams, I have often wondered how she was like. Was she fiesty or gentle? Was she artistic and creative? My older aunt and mom were devastated by her death, so she must have been special. My mom doesn't seem to like to talk about it much, so I don't ask too much, but I'm burning to know more.

Not just about my grandmother, though. I want to know so much more about my mom, but I'm afraid to ask. We've never really talked about her past too in depth, namely, because she's been a mother for more than half of her life, and I've been primarily selfish for most of mine. Call it a joy luck club moment, but I don't want to lose a moment with my mom. I don't want my mom to be gone before I learn her story. I want her story to live on, even after she's gone.


No comments: