Read All About It...: My Fellow Americans

Thursday, May 3, 2012

My Fellow Americans

Today, I did an interview where I really had to explore my identity and heritage.  English is the language that I identify, as is Western/American culture.  But my heritage is not native of this country, and some of the habits and rituals that I have picked up reflect behaviors from the far East.

I am Korean, and I am not ashamed about it, nor do I feel any less about myself because I am considered a "minority."  But there are moments where I feel a little bit guilty that I don't speak the language of my "motherland."

There are choices that second generation children have to make.  Are we going to continue the legacy and heritage of our parents?  Or are we going to adopt the American way?  I have obviously chosen to be less Korean and more American.  And I am okay with that.

No comments: