Read All About It...: Somebody That I Used to Know

Friday, January 27, 2012

Somebody That I Used to Know

There are a lot of things that I could write about Gotye's Somebody That I Used to Know. For instance the art of the video, the instrumental quality of the song, but I'm more of a lyrics girl. In particular, I am Kimbra's persona in the video.

Now and then I think of all the times you screwed me over
But had me believing it was always something that I'd done
And I don't want to live that way
Reading into every thing you say
You said that you would let it go
And I wouldn't catch you hung up on somebody that you used know

Unlike Jack Twist in Brokeback Mountain who just cain't quit his lover, Ennis; I can quit. I can cut people off. I can get my friends to collect my records and then change my number. I am quite capable of resigning myself to loneliness. Even if it means putting myself through pain and hell. When someone disappoints me, I have a hard time forgiving. I have a harder time forgetting. Rather than letting go of the pain, I let go of the person. I dismiss them, but I cut myself on the pain. It would be nice if I could let go of the pain too.

No comments: