Read All About It...: Good News for the Modern Me

Saturday, December 10, 2011

Good News for the Modern Me

What does Christmas mean to me? Is it really about Jesus' birth to me? It's easy to think that it's about receiving presents, or what to buy for him or her. It's easy to think that it's about giving, but why is it about giving? Why is it about peace on earth and goodwill towards all people?

Who is this Jesus and what does he have to do with me?

Jesus was born to be a savior. His birth was the beginning of a revolution of love. I forget that. Christmas is about the life of a baby who would bring hope to me. According to my human nature, I am destined for failure, destined to die and destined to be punished for all of my wrong doings. But Jesus sacrificed his life so that I could live in freedom.

But am I living in freedom? Well, no. Parts of the hopeful, belief in me have died. Not all dead, but I'm certainly far from a promised land. But Christmas is a time to hope, to be merry, to celebrate the birth of a little baby who brings freedom. I'm not free from the world or myself at the moment. I am a little bit in the pit, but it's Christmas. It is not about the lights and trees, the presents, the red and green, the ugly sweaters, and I need to remember that someone was born to rescue me from my natural bend toward darkness.

No comments: