Read All About It...: Two/To/Too... You're/Your... There/They're/Their...

Monday, February 7, 2011

Two/To/Too... You're/Your... There/They're/Their...

Am I a snob? It really bothers me when people cannot follow simple grammatical structure! When you speak, okay, so you can't really hear a difference, but I am still tempted to correct certain individuals on their spelling.

"Two" is a number- ex. Here are two new stores.
"To" is a preposition (it proceeds nouns)- ex. I am going to the store.
"Too" is a synonym for also, or indicates excessiveness when placed before an adjective or adverb- ex. I would go too, but I am too tired.

"You're" is a contraction of the words you and are- ex. You're my best friend!
"Your" is possessive- ex. Is that your best friend?

"There" indicates location- ex. I am driving over there.
"They're" is a contraction of the words they and are- ex. They're driving too fast.
"Their" is possessive- ex. I am going to steal their car.

Writing is easy. If you are past the seventh grade, you should have learned this by now.

1 comment:

Gina said...

also one of my pet peeves! snobs unite! :P